Saturday, October 18, 2008

Classroom=Excitement

There is just something about being in a classroom that makes me feel all excited inside. Don't get me wrong, I really do enjoy my job as a PE teacher but it is not where my heart lies. It is a foot in the door and a source of great laughs and moments of joy but I still don't completely believe that it is the ultimate position for me. I have been blessed with the opportunity to volunteer a couple of mornings a week in the 1st/2nd grade classroom these last few weeks and I have really enjoyed getting to know the kids a bit better. I am also thrilled with the opportunity to teach excited minds the wonders of Mathematics and the components of the English language. I have also enjoyed partnering with them in their memorization of Bible verses such as I Corinthians 13. I am amazed by the capacity these kids have for memorizing scripture. I also think it is quite adorable when the recite their verses as a class and do all of their motions. I felt particularly invigorated though on Friday as I had the opportunity to sub all day in the third grade classroom. I loved it! Being in front of a classroom full of young minds makes me feel so alive! We had so much fun!(well that is after we got the pesky spelling and Latin tests out of the way) Yesterday was especially fun because we had a plant party in the morning. Each of the students brought a fruit or vegetable from home and shared it with the class. In other words we had a taste testing party! The afternoon was fun as well because after I took them to PE (yes, I doubled yesterday at times as the PE teacher as well) we came back and did math, my favorite subject. The kids were surprised to find out that PE was not my favorite subject and even more surprised when I told them I had never taught PE but had taught 3rd grade before. Someday maybe I will find my way into a classroom of my very own but until then I will take any little opportunity that comes along so long as I am working with kids.

1 comment:

Miss Chrysti said...

aww sounds like you had a good time :)