Even though I see these people everyday at school, I don't feel as though I have really had a chance to connect with some of them on a more personal level. Friday night, connections were finally made thanks to a staff get-together at the home of one of the teachers. With apple crisp in hand I arrived at the home and made my way out to the porch in the backyard where a couple of people were sitting and talking. Many of the staff members brought their spouse and/or kids along, making the experience even sweeter. It was definitely nice to finally sit down and talk with a couple of teachers. I learned a lot about them and I think they were able to get to know me a bit better as well.
Friday night, not realizing that spouses were invited to the staff party, Andy decided to go for a scenic drive around Summit county. During his travels, he drove through just about every type of weather imaginable. First it was sunny, then torrential downpour. Later the rain ceased but the thunder persisted. Soon after he encountered hail only later to be greeted by snow flurries. After the snow cleared the sun reappeared over part of the mountain and highlighted the brilliant colors of the changing leaves. What a drive! From what we have been told, we are in the midst of the peak season for colors right now. I guess that's why the hotel was completely booked this weekend!
Today I had an opportunity to see the changing colors as I went on a hike with a couple of people from church. The trees were absolutely beautiful! The hike proved to be longer than anticipated however. After hiking for a couple of hours a friend and I decided that if we were going to have any chance of making it to our small group meeting at 3 that we really needed to just turn around and make our way back down the trail. So we turned around and our hiking partners decided to continue on to the top which was "just around the corner" then meet up with us in a few minutes. An hour later the two of us made it to our cars but there was no sign of the others. Apparently the top was farther away than anticipated and they had just made it to the top when we made it to the bottom. 2 1/2 hours later they made their way to the bottom. We were so glad we turned around when we did!
So, that's our weekend in a nutshell! Only a couple more days until I arrive in Michigan! Hooray!! 3 days!! See you soon!
No comments:
Post a Comment