Monday was a beautiful sunny day here in the valley. I had been watching the weather for a couple of days and was definitely not disappointed. You see, we are quickly approaching an event known as the fitness challenge and we (by we I mean the students) needed to practice running the mile. Practice makes, um easier, right? At any rate, the fitness challenge is a big deal at the Vail Academy and it is my job to make sure all of the students are prepared to perform to the best of their potential. So on Monday, near the end of recess, I made my way outside and began to place cones around the parking lot in order to mark off the course. At first the kids were excited, wanting to know if we were going to have PE outside. When I said yes, we would be having class outside, they began jumping up and down and passed around high fives. The jumping soon ceased when someone asked the question "so, what are we going to do?" I don't think they were very happy with me or my response. They thought I was kidding! When I told them that yes, in fact, they would be running I was bombarded with a slew of excuses (I don't have tennis shoes today, I didn't bring gym clothes, etc) and a list of complaints.
Word had gotten around by the time class began and, thankfully, they were not quite as upset. In fact, there seemed to be a bit of excitement in the air. After walking the course, they all lined up at the start/finish line and crouched into the starting position just like they had seen people do in the Olympics. Absolutely hilarious! When it was all said and done, I was thoroughly impressed by the athleticism of some of my students. I also thought it funny that the girl who had complained more than anyone else ended up outrunning the rest of the 3rd-5th graders in her class. She even outran some of the junior high guys and gals! Oh, and if you ever want a really good laugh, watch a class of Kindergartners run a lap or two around the course! It took them about 4 minutes to go 1/5 mile but they looked like they had run a marathon! The 1st and 2nd graders fared a bit better on their 1/2 mile, mustering up all of their remaining strength to sprint the last 25 yards. So cute!! For as tired as they were outside though, you would never know it by the way they played four corners inside not 5 minutes later. Ah, the resiliency of a 6 year old!
Today at chapel we will officially kick off the fitness challenge fundraiser. Hopefully the excitement carries through the next month. I am expecting great things from all of my wonderful kids!
No comments:
Post a Comment